The Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
Vis Medicatrix Naturae– The Healing Power of Nature:
The innate wisdom of your body guides your treatment.
Primum Non Nocere– First, Do No Harm:
Gentle, safe, & effective treatments.
Tolle Causam– Identify and Treat the Cause:
Getting to the bottom of it.
Tolle Totum– Treat the Whole Person:
Addressing all levels of health
Docere– Doctor as Teacher:
Placing your health in your hands thru informed decisions.
Prevention and Health Promotion-
Thriving on life
The Therapeutic Order
1. Establish conditions for health
• Identify and remove disturbing factors
• Institute a more healthful regimen
2. Stimulate the healing power of nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae):
The self-healing processes
3. Address weakened or damaged systems or organs
• Strengthen the immune system
• Decrease toxicity
• Normalize inflammatory function
• Optimize metabolic function
• Balance regulatory systems
• Enhance regeneration
• Harmonize with your life force
4. Correct structural integrity
5. Address pathology:
Use specific natural substances, modalities, or interventions
6. Address pathology:
Use specific pharmacologic or synthetic substances
7. Suppress or surgically remove pathology
Course syllabus: NM51 71, Naturopathic clinical theory.
Seattle: Bastyr University, 1997-2005.